Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Attack of the Scaredy-who's


It's late at night.  A strong westerly wind whips the sides of the tent, and there are lots of noises, rasping.  I glance nervously through the window to see the faint outlines of a creature only feet away.  Goose bumps tickle my arms.  It's maybe the size of a raccoon, head swaying hither and fro in it's approach.  I'm not afraid of raccoons — problem is I'm not sure it really IS a raccoon!  Nor am I privy to the accurate dimensions of the thing.  I AM sure that it's far too close for comfort, considering all the unknowns.  Bravely I grab my headlamp and shine the high beam through the window towards the scary thing.  Baby elm tree.

Okay, so I'm a little green.  I DID grow up in the country, but it's been 30 years.  And I AM somewhat surprised and embarrassed to find I have more than my share of the scaredy-who's, but I'm doin' this thing anyway, and aside from the fears, I'm happier than a tickled pig's tail to be here!

5 comments:

  1. nancyvaughn@hughes.netMay 2, 2012 at 8:26 PM

    Pamela, I am so happy and amused to read your blog. What a bright spot in our beloved woods!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pamela, i envy your experience with all the creatures. i've lived in this area for 40 years and have seen a bear once in my life. good for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Nancy and Chele! I sure appreciate you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's Cindy K. trying to read and understand what you are doing. It sounds like fun though. I'll see if this gets through to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got it, Cindy (my violin teacher, for the rest of you who didn't know)! I played my fiddle in the woods the other day, and the cayotes started howling!

    ReplyDelete

No profile or account? Include your name in your comment, then select Comment as: Anonymous and click Publish.