Sunday, August 26, 2012

Making Change


I didn't want do dig that hole in the ground, or rather have it dug by somebody else.  I didn't want to see an ugly flat spot, denuded and bare, marking where I'll dwell.  I didn't want to drag the logs onto the pretty sunny slope or down the ailing trees.  I was hoping to leave those for the woodpeckers.  You should hear those woodpeckers!  Every morning each claims a tree with a unique sound some higher pitched, some low then lets loose a percussive improv of calling out and answering, each in their different tones.  It's really something to hear! 

Will they be farther away now?  Harder to hear?  That's not what I wanted.  Yet I don't want the "widowmakers" either.  That's the local name for dead branches hanging precariously from dead trees, of which there are lots this summer.

And I need a home.

I don't like changing things.  I don't like being an influence on my environment, or on people.  I was raised to weep and hide in the shadows find a little hole somewhere and stay there.  Don't rock the boat, for heaven's sake; and better yet, be invisible.  But it appears that life is influence, and living better, influential.  To shun influence, or influencing, is to pale away, die.  So take your pick, because those are the only two options.  Take your pick.

2 comments:

  1. Influence, then, because I've found you to be a good influence on me and an inspiration to many. There are a plenty of dead trees left for those ole woodpeckers and believe me, you'll still hear them on your quiet mornings in your sweet little home. See you at the fish fry I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Mendy. You're a great inspiration to me, too, and yes siree I'll be at that fish fry!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete

No profile or account? Include your name in your comment, then select Comment as: Anonymous and click Publish.